The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch remains open and dedicated to assisting with your family law needs. Call our office at 818-237-4574 or fill out the form here to schedule a meeting with us.
Get a Free Consultation 818-237-4574
Knowledgeable, Personal
And Professional Legal Services
For Over 35 Years
Contact Us Today!
The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch

Westlake Village Child Relocation Attorney

Even among unmarried parents, child custody is often a sticking point in a breakup or divorce, and child relocation is a sensitive subject that brings all sorts of emotions to the surface. If you are a parent hoping to move away with your child or if you worry that the child’s other parent will move away with your child, then you need to speak to a Westlake Village child relocation attorney right away to understand how California law applies in your particular situation.

Best Interests of the Children

In California, as in most states, family courts make most decisions based on the best interests of the children above all other factors. However, the laws regarding child relocation are quite complicated and always evolving. Typically, a California parent who has a permanent primary physical custody order is permitted to move as he/she sees fit, provided the other parent cannot show cause that the move would bring harm to the child. Still, whether or not a custody order is temporary or permanent comes into play in this also, with temporary orders having less weight in court than permanent ones.

Moreover, if the parents share physical custody of the child—known as joint custody—and one of the parents objects to the move, then the parent wishing to relocate must prove to the family court that the move is in the child’s best interests.

In both cases, the label of joint or sole custody—which is set forth in the parenting agreement in your case—is a vital part of the decisions made by the court. When a dispute is on the table regarding relocation, the courts will review the parenting schedule to determine how much a move will disrupt the children’s lives and how feasible it will be for the other non-relocating parent to spend time with the children in the case.

Because of this, both parents should come up with a parenting plan that takes the whole family into consideration. Any parenting plan should offer visitation that allows for ample time with the kids for both parents.

Moving Out of State or Out of the U.S.

Parents looking to move out of the state or even out of the country may face a greater obstacle than in-state moves when the issue is presented to the family court. In scenarios such as these, having the other parent’s express permission is usually required.

Help With Child Relocation

Whether you are moving 20 miles away or 2,000 miles away (or if the other parent of your child is doing so), if the move poses an impact on your existing custody arrangement, then new custody and visitation orders must be obtained. Remember, the court is not deciding whether or not the parent can move, but whether or not the child can move away from the other parent—and if the child is permitted to move, what arrangements must be made to accommodate the other parent’s visitation privileges.

Get help with your child relocation case from an experienced Westlake Village child relocation attorney. Reach out to the Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch for solid advice and knowledgeable counsel regarding custody and relocation issues. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling 818-237-4574.

Contact us today! Review Us

We Accept Credit Cards

VISA | Master Card | American Express | Discover New York