The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch remains open and dedicated to assisting with your family law needs. Call our office at 818-237-4574 or fill out the form here to schedule a meeting with us.
Get a Free Consultation 818-237-4574
Knowledgeable, Personal
And Professional Legal Services
For Over 35 Years
Contact Us Today!
The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch

Modifying A California Family Court Order

Family law orders may need to be modified to account for significant changes that occur after an order has been entered. If you are seeking or opposing the modification of a family court order, retaining experienced legal counsel is the first step to protecting your rights.

Changing Court Orders Relating To Divorce And Child Custody

Changes to child custody and time-sharing (visitation) schedules arise when such changes address a child’s best interests. Every order should reflect the current needs of the child. On the other hand, some orders require changes so there are adequate finances available to meet the child’s needs. California has guidelines in place to ensure that both parents fairly contribute to the upbringing of the children.

The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch can assist you with:

  • Modification of a child support order
  • Child custody modifications
  • Time-sharing (visitation) modifications
  • Spousal support modifications

To discuss your modifications case with an experienced lawyer, please contact me, attorney Ronald K. Stitch, for a free consultation at my Westlake Village law office. I practice exclusively in divorce and family law to provide my clients with experienced and knowledgeable representation.

When Can A Child Support Order Be Modified?

You cannot modify a child support order simply because you feel the original order was unjust. Instead, you must be able to show that there has been a significant change in circumstances such as:

  • Your income has changed significantly.
  • Your ex-spouse has been incarcerated or has lost a job.
  • The physical, mental or emotional needs of your child have changed, requiring an adjustment in his or her financial needs.

If you or the other parent has experienced what you believe to be a significant change in circumstances and you feel you are paying too much or not receiving enough support, I can perform a guideline child support calculation on your behalf.

If you qualify for a modification, I can assist you in preparing court filings and negotiate for your interests. If your child’s other parent disputes the modification, I will be there to protect your rights in court.

How To Seek A Change In Custody

You can seek a modification to child custody or your time-sharing schedule, if you believe that it is in the best interests of your child to make the change. Some circumstances where you may be able to modify your custody or time-sharing order include:

  • Your work schedule has changed.
  • Your child has been abused by the other parent.
  • The other parent has a chemical dependency problem that puts your child at risk.
  • Your teenager has expressed a strong preference for a change in custody.

If these or other issues have arisen and you feel the existing custody arrangement is not in the best interests of your child, contact my law office for assistance. I can also provide experienced representation if you are opposing a child custody modification.

Learn If You Qualify To Bring A Motion To Modify Support Or Custody

I can evaluate your case and discuss your options during a free consultation. Please call 818-237-4574 or send us an email. We serve clients throughout Ventura County.

Contact us today! Review Us

We Accept Credit Cards

VISA | Master Card | American Express | Discover New York