The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch remains open and dedicated to assisting with your family law needs. Call our office at 818-237-4574 or fill out the form here to schedule a meeting with us.
Get a Free Consultation 818-237-4574
Knowledgeable, Personal
And Professional Legal Services
For Over 35 Years
Contact Us Today!
The Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch

Simi Valley Modifications Attorney

In the aftermath of a divorce, both parties are inevitably going to undergo changes in their lives. Due to these changes, it may be necessary to alter parts of the divorce agreement. Please understand that the only way to officially make changes to a finalized divorce is through the court. You may need to secure the assistance of a Simi Valley modifications attorney. At the Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch, our certified family law specialist is ready to get to work on your behalf today. Let us get started on the changes you need to make.

What changes may need to be made?

Many modifications issues revolve around child custody. The court is going to want to do what is in the best interest of the child. California has strict guidelines in place to ensure that both parents continue to support their children even as their life situations change.

Some of the most common reasons for custody and visitation modifications requests include:

  • One parent relocates: moving can have a significant impact on both parents’ custody and visitation rights.
  • Criminal issues: if one parent gets into trouble with the law, their custody or visitation rights may need to be modified.
  • Substance abuse: if one parent suspects or has evidence that the other is abusing drugs or alcohol, they need to seek assistance from the court to investigate the matter and make any necessary changes.
  • Physical/sexual abuse: if a parent physically or sexually abuses a child, law enforcement needs to be involved, and custody modifications need to be made.

Changes to child custody may also trigger changes in child support. A family law attorney will be able to help with these modifications.

Changes to spousal maintenance

If the financial situation of the paying spouse changes (improves or declines), there may need to be modifications to the payments. This could also be the case if the receiving spouse remarries or is refusing to remarry for the sole purpose of attempting to keep their payments coming.

Enforcement orders and modifications

It is vital that both parties in a divorce uphold the court-ordered divorce decree. However, when one side fails to comply with the order, an enforcement order may need to be sought from the court along with a modification.

Modifications through mediation

Our firm offers mediation services to clients wishing to resolve custody or visitation disputes. This can be a less contentious, and less expensive, route to solving these matters.

Call us when you need some changes made

If you realize that changes need to be made to your divorce settlement, please seek advice from a qualified family law attorney. Modifications to a final settlement must be made through the court and not on your own with your former spouse. At the Law Offices of Ronald K. Stitch, we are ready to help you through this. We understand all aspects of California family law and will work to make this process a smooth as possible. When you need a Simi Valley modifications lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling 818-237-4574.